4470 Beechwood Ave. NE , Paris, OH 44669 Telephone: (330) - 821-0670




The Freeburg House of Worship first appears in the written church record on March 25, 1894 when Sunday School minutes were started and kept each week. The church was originally part of the Sandy Congregation of the Church of the Brethren founded in 1820, just East of Homeworth, Ohio. Freeburg was established to make it more convenient for those members living in Stark County to attend worship. The present "Meeting House" was built in 1882, extensively remodeled in 1959-1960, and an addition containing a lift for handicap access was completed in July of 2006.

In 1899 discussion began to consider dividing the church territory into two separate congregations, with the Stark/Columbiana County line as the division line. On May 19, 1900 the Freeburg Church became a reality. Although the churches now were separate they continued to divide their offerings equally for some time. Until 1920 the minister of the church served a free ministry. The first minister Simon B. Stuckey, still has descendents in the church. The first two ministers, or moderators, were called from within the congregation. The second minister, David Stuckey, also began his service in the free ministry, and was the son of Simon. David made his living as the school teacher at the school in Freeburg. It was not until 1937 that a minister was called from outside the congregation. In a sort of return to tradition, the current pastor, Mike Zellers, was called from within the congregation in 1995.

Freeburg Church of the Brethren is part of the Northern Ohio District of the Church of the Brethren